In new iOn, we are using the term notification for what we called an alert in legacy iOn, which is a message sent from the system via email or text to inform certain users of situations, such as a warning about a low battery or a missing iOn Tag. In the Knowledge Base articles, you will see notification and alert used interchangeably.
This article describes how to view all the notifications you or another iOn admin in your organization has configured (NOT the actual alerts your assets are triggering and sending). In new iOn, you will need to set up a notification if you want to receive geofence event notices on the Notifications panel, but you can see all your geofence events on the Geofence Events screen. (See Viewing Your Geofence Events.)
Note: To see how to view the alerts your asset events have triggered and sent to iOn, go to Viewing Notifications and Marking Them As Read.
To view the alerts your organization has configured, follow these steps:
- In the sidebar menu on the left, click .
- Click Notifications on the flyout menu that appears.
The Admin - Notifications screen will appear.
By default, your notifications are listed by name in ascending order (from A to Z for words, or from lowest to highest for numbers).
- If you want to see notifications in subgroups of the one you have selected in the Group Chooser, make sure that View Subgroups is selected at the bottom of the screen.
- You can scroll down the grid to see all the notifications you or another admin user has set up for your organization to receive.
- To find a particular notification, you can sort or filter the Name column, as shown in Sorting and Filtering Column Data.
- You can refresh the grid data by clicking at the top right of the grid.
- You can export the grid data to a CSV (comma-separated value) file by clicking at the top right.
- You can add or remove columns by clicking at the top right of the grid and following the steps in Customizing Displayed Columns.
- If you don't have iOn save grid modifications you make automatically for all the iOn screens (if the Automatically Save Grid Settings toggle in the Preferences area of My Profile is deselected — see Viewing Your Profile and Setting Your Preferences), you can save any layout changes you've made to the Admin - Notifications screen by clicking . (If you haven't made any layout updates you can save, will be above the grid instead.) See Saving Grid Changes for an Individual Screen for more details.
Here is an explanation of the column headers:
- Name: The alert identifier.
- Type: The classification for the notification.
- Severity: The seriousness of the alert, or priority level, with possible values Low, Medium, High, and Urgent (formerly called Critical).
- Inheritable: Whether the notification can also be triggered by assets in subgroups of the group it is assigned to (so the subgroups, or child groups, inherit the alert from the parent group).
- Status: The notification's current state in the database, such as Enabled.
Note: If the status is set to Disabled or Suspended, the event that would normally trigger the notification will not be reported to the system, and its assigned users won't be sent an email or text message.
- Name: The alert identifier.
- Just below the grid are icons that enable you to navigate through the pages of data, if needed. See Paging Options for an explanation of these.