A role determines the level of privileges your iOn users have within your account. To view or edit the properties of a role in your iOn account, follow these steps:
Caution: iOn comes prepackaged with three roles — Admin, Demo, and User. You won't be able to edit those — just view their properties. You can only edit roles you created yourself.
- Click >> Admin >> Roles.
The Admin - Roles screen will appear and display the Manage Roles list.
- If the role is in a subgroup of the one you have selected in the Group Chooser (although roles are best assigned to your top-level group), click Include Subgroups at the bottom of the screen.
- Scroll down to the role you need to view or modify or filter the Name column to find it. (See Sorting and Filtering Column Data if needed.)
Caution: As mentioned earlier, you'll only be able to view the default roles (Admin, Demo, and User), as indicated by , not edit them. Also, roles you created yourself, which you can edit, might not be modifiable if a user is assigned to them. If you see under Actions instead of for one of your roles and need to update its properties, reassign its users to different roles and then log out of iOn. After you log back in, you should be able to now change the role's properties.
- In the row of the role, click (View) or (Edit) under Actions.
The Viewing or Edit Role Name dialog box will appear.
- If you are just viewing the properties, scroll down to see which screens the role can access (as indicated by Allow) and click Close when you are finished.
If you are editing the role, continue to step 6.
- To change the name of the role, select the text in the Name field and type the new one.
- If you would like to place the role in a different group, click the Group drop-down arrow and select the new group from the list.
Note: As roles are primarily created to be used throughout iOn, they are best assigned to your top-level group (and set to be inheritable, as mentioned in step 10).
- To edit the description of the role, select the current value in the Description field and type the new text.
Note: Specify what the role is designed for (such as a driver supervisor) and the screens it can view and modify.
- Normally, you will leave the Status field set to Enabled.
Note: If you don't want the role to be used for a temporary period of time, you can click this drop-down arrow and select Disabled. This will make the role unable to be assigned to a user.
If any users currently have the role, you won't be able to disable it. (You'll receive an error when you try to save, stating who is allocated to the role.)
The Suspended option doesn't affect the role and is a leftover from similar dialog boxes.
- You should generally leave Inheritable selected so that the role can be seen by subgroups of the group it is assigned to (so the subgroups, or child groups, inherit the role from the parent group).
Note: The Inheritable attribute is not really employed as a role feature and is somewhat a leftover from similar screens.
In the Features section, you will find a list of all the iOn screens. If a page is set to Deny, the role cannot view it. If a page is set to Allow, the role does have access to it.
- Scroll through the list of screens and make any Allow/Deny changes you need by clicking the selectors. ( means selected, and deselected.)
Note: You won't be able to give access to screens you yourself don't have rights for. For example, if your role is the iOn prepackaged Admin, you won't be able to allow the new role to delete groups, as your role doesn't have that privilege.
- Click Save.
Your edits will appear in the Manage Roles grid.