To add an individual role to your iOn account, follow these steps:
Note: A role determines the level of privileges your iOn users have within your account. iOn comes prepackaged with three roles — Admin, Demo, and User. For details on which screens they can view and modify (or to see an explanation of the features of the Admin - Roles screen), go to Navigating the Admin - Roles Screen.
- Click >> Admin >> Roles.
The Admin - Roles screen will appear and display the Manage Roles list.
- Click Add Role at the bottom of the screen.
The Add Role dialog box will appear.
- In the Name field, type an identifier for the role, such as Driver Supervisor or Basic User.
- Click the Group drop-down arrow and select the group the role will be assigned to.
Note: As roles are primarily created to be used throughout iOn, they are best assigned to your top-level group (and set to be inheritable, as shown in step 7).
- In the Description field, type what the role is designed for, including which screens it will be able to view and modify.
- Leave the Status field at its default value of Enabled.
Note: The Disabled option will make the role unable to be assigned to a user, but this won't likely be necessary when you are adding a new one (or generally speaking, ever). The Suspended option doesn't affect the role and is a leftover from similar dialog boxes.
- Select Inheritable so that the role can be seen by subgroups of the group it is assigned to (so the subgroups, or child groups, inherit the role from the parent group).
Note: The Inheritable attribute is not really employed as a role feature and is somewhat a leftover from similar screens.
In the Features section, you will find a list of all the iOn screens, each of which will be initially set to Deny (meaning the role cannot view the page).
- Scroll through the list of screens and click the selector to slide it to Allow (meaning the role can view the screen) for each page you need the role to access. ( means selected, and deselected.)
Note: You won't be able to give access to screens you yourself don't have rights for. For example, if your role is the iOn prepackaged Admin, you won't be able to allow the new role to delete groups, as your role doesn't have that privilege.
- Click Save.
The new role's name and other details will appear in the Manage Roles list.