To edit an individual user's profile, follow these steps:
Note: To edit several users' profiles at once, follow the steps in Importing Users, uploading a new users.xlsx file with the same usernames. (The newly imported file will overwrite your earlier information.)
For an explanation of the features of the Admin - Users screen, go to Navigating the Admin - Users Screen.
- Click >> Admin >> Users.
The Admin - Users screen will appear and display the Manage Users list.
- If the user is in a subgroup of the one you have selected in the Group Chooser, click Include Subgroups at the bottom of the screen.
- Scroll down to the user whose profile you need to modify or filter the Username, First Name, or Last Name column to find them. (See Sorting and Filtering Column Data if needed.)
- In the row of the user, clickunder Actions.
Note: Alternatively, you can select the user's check box and then click at the bottom of the screen. You actually can edit multiple user profiles this way (by selecting all of their check boxes before clicking ), but you can only edit fields they have in common, such as their group assignment or role.
The Edit Username dialog box will appear.
- To change their username, select the text in the Username field and type the new one.
Caution: Be aware that iOn will not inform the user of a username change, so you should either be prepared to contact them yourself or only act in response to a change request from them. Also, you won't be able to change the username for someone who is currently logged in to iOn. (The dialog box will return an error when you try to save.)
- If you would like to place the user in a different group, click the Group drop-down arrow and select the new group from the list.
Note: If you would like to search for the group, you can click to the right of the current group's name, type your search criteria, and then choose from the drop-down list.
- To update the level of iOn privileges for the user, click the Role drop-down arrow and select their new role.
Note: Roles control which screens the user can view and change. See Navigating the Admin - Roles Screen for more information.
- To change the user's first name, select the text in the First Name field and type the new one.
- To change their last name, select the text in the Last Name field and type the new one.
- Normally, you will leave the Status field set to Enabled.
Note: If the user has been suspended for employee infractions, you can click this drop-down arrow and select Disabled or Suspended. Either option will make the user unable to log in to iOn until their account is reenabled.
- Usually, you will leave the End Date field at its current value of ten years after creation.
If the employee should have only temporary access to iOn (such as an intern or temp), or if you are a long-time iOn customer (so the user is approaching that end date), instead click the calendar picker and choose a date to end their login privileges.
- To change the unit of measure the user prefers, you can click the Units of Measure drop-down arrow and select US, Metric, or Use Group Default.
Note: When a group is created, a default unit of measure is set for it: either US or Metric.
- If you need to set a temporary password for the user, you can do so as follows:
Note: The employee can reset their password on their own by following the steps at Changing Your Password When Logged In.
- Click Set Temporary Password.
Two new fields will appear.
- Type the password in the Password field, with these requirements: It must contain at least one uppercase letter, one lowercase letter, one number, and one special character; must have between 10 and 64 characters; and cannot contain spaces or the username.
- Retype the same password in the Confirm Password field.
Caution: The user won't be automatically emailed the temporary password; you'll need to contact them yourself to inform them of the change.
Also, they'll be prompted to change the password to a more-permanent one after they log in.
- Click Set Temporary Password.
- Click Save.
Your edits will appear in the Manage Users list.
Note: If the user is currently logged in to iOn when you make an edit (such as changing their role), the update won't take effect until they've logged out and logged back in.